Mold: The Invisible Threat

Invisible to the eye, mold spores are microscopic organisms that occur everywhere there is moisture and are formed as a result of decaying organic matter – most commonly leaves, foliage or trees. When carried by the air current, mold spores can find their way inside and, as a homeowner, mold is the last thing you want growing inside the house.
Some of these molds can create mycotoxins that may present serious health risks to humans as well as pets. At high levels, ‘toxic molds’ can lead to neurological problems and in some cases, even death. Other symptoms stemming from the presence of mold include:

Nasal or sinus congestion
Eye irritation
Respiratory problems
Throat irritation
Skin irritation
Persistent sneezing
Hair loss
Food intolerance
Bloodshot eyes
Mood swings

It’s easy to see the importance of mold detection if you own, or especially if you are selling a home. Aside from experiencing the symptoms listed here, there are other signs that mold may be present. A musty odor, caused by moisture sometimes caused by unseen water leaks within walls, seepage or water as a result flooding can signal mold growth. Visible condensation on glass surfaces or on piping, and just elevated humidity levels from the home sitting vacant are also invitations for mold to form and spread throughout your home.

Buyer Beware

When buying, or selling a home, you can’t expect your realtor to be a mold expert, however, knowing what to look for can save you and your family from time, expense and potential sickness. Realtors have lists of rich data to help you buy the right home, but realtors can also add tremendous value by understanding the signs of mold and what to do about it when working with clients. While a seller must disclose any past issue with mold, without question, realtors should always recommend a mold inspection, or testing even if there aren’t obvious signs of water/moisture present. The more educated an agent becomes, the stronger the level of trust they have with their clients and potential clients.

You’ve got mold. Now what?

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has clear guidelines for remediation of mold and moisture problems in schools and commercial buildings. Known as the Mold Removal Maryland Experts – Peake Restoration uses only the best, non-toxic, environmentally safe EPA and USDA-approved products.
Before remediation can start, the area needs to be properly assessed to ensure safety before the following instructions can begin:

HVAC cleaning

The use of protective clothing e.g., respirator mask, goggles, protective suit and gloves
Damp wiping for non-porous surfaces using an anti-microbial solution
High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPPA) vacuuming for dried contaminants
Disposal of contaminated debris

A rigorous understanding of the signs of mold is especially helpful for any homeowner, but especially valuable for any licensed real estate agent. Best left to the professionals, complete remediation will ensure the safety of the buyer or owner and should never be ignored.